Motorola fans didn’t think the day would ever come. Motorola has been out of the flagship game for so long, most thought Motorola would continue to make bank in the mid-range smartphone market.
However, the wait is finally over. Today Motorola unveiled its new family of premium smartphones: motorola edge+ and motorola edge. These new devices mark Motorola’s “much-awaited return to the flagship space. Motorola’s newest smartphones are the fastest, loudest, and boldest on the market.”
The new Motorola flagship devices have been leaking all over the internet for a few months now, but with the curtains finally pulled back on them we can really dig into what this means for the former king of phone makers.
Let’s look at the specs first!
|Spec||Motorola Edge +||Motorol Edge|
|Screen||6.7″, Endless Edge, HDR10, 90Hz||6.7″, Endless Edge, HDR10, 90Hz|
|Processor||Snapdragon™ 865||Snapdragon™ 765|
|Camera (rear)||108 MP main sensor + 8 MP telephoto lens + 16 MP ultra-wide angle lens with built-in Macro Vision||64MP main lens + 16MP ultra-wide lens with Macro Vision + 8 MP telephoto lens|
|Camera (front)||25 MP front-facing||25 MP front-facing|
|Battery||5,000 mAh||4,500 mAh|
|Colours||Smoky Sangria, Thunder Grey||Midnight Magenta, Solar Black|
There are other specs I could call out, for example, the Edge+ will have 5G, a headphone jack and wireless charging but lacks an official IP rating for dust and water protection. But I think the table covers the ones most people are concerned with. The waterfall edge screen, hence the Edge name, is already proving to be a polarizing decision made by Motorola. Flagships launched in late 2019 and early 2020 elected to drop the curved edge displays in favour of a flat panel. Motorola going with this deep curved edge may push some buyers away.
My thoughts… The camera will make or break these devices
If you have scrolled through and read anything on GadgetSyrup, it is pretty obvious. I am a Motorola fan and have a great relationship with them. However, despite my affinity for their devices, their software and the company in general I am always left wanting more. Specifically in the camera department. The triple sensor package found on the Edge + looks great on paper and in the samples Motorola provided below, but I will have to wait patiently to test this camera out to know if Motorola has a winner in its hands this time. The last true flagship they released was the Moto Z2 and it fell flat in the camera department.
These image samples are only from the Edge+.
Pricing and Availability
The Edge + will retails for $999.99 USD. Below you can see when and where in the world the Edge + will be available for purchase.
- Beginning in May, motorola edge+ will be available in various countries across Europe, in UAE at Etisalat and du and in KSA at stc. In the coming months, motorola edge+ will begin to roll out in India and select Latin American markets.
- United States: In the U.S., the new edge+ will be available exclusively on Verizon, starting May 14 for $41.66 a month for 24 months on Verizon Device Payment (0% APR; $999.99 retail).
- Customers who get a new line of service on select Unlimited plans can save up to $550 on a new Motorola edge+ with an applicable trade-in.
- Additionally, customers who switch from another carrier to a select Verizon Unlimited plan get a $150 Verizon e-gift card for a total savings of up to $700. Plus get a Verizon Stream TV, an Amazon Echo Dot and smart plug on us.
- Current Verizon customers on select Unlimited plans can save up to $250 on a new Motorola edge+ with an applicable trade-in when you upgrade.
- Canada: In Canada, the new edge+ will be available at Bell, Rogers, TELUS and Freedom Mobile. For more information, visit motorola.ca.
The standard Edge will retails for €699, and available in Italy first. Below shows further availability. Canadian availability is unknown at this time.
- Motorola edge will be available in Italy beginning in May ( MSRP: €699 ) and launched to various European countries in the following weeks. In the coming months, motorola edge will begin to roll out across select markets in Latin America and Asia Pacific.
- In the U.S., the new edge will be available later this year. More information to come this summer.
I am waiting to hear from Motorola on review unit availability, but as soon as I have one in hand I will be sure to share my impressions as I put it through a full review.